Saturday, April 28, 2007

built by me

with a bit of help from my mother. i was visiting my parents for about a week and decided i wanted to try a pattern while my experienced mom was about. a pattern that used a zipper to be exact. so built by wendy simplicity pattern #3835 it was. i used cheap grey cotton material for two reasons: one, to practice and not mess up expensive fabric; two, because it was either this, giant gold butterflies, or john deere tractor fabric.

grey is my favorite color but perhaps in this particular use it isn't the best as the dress kinda has an amish, choir-robe look to it.

i used what the package called "kiwi" green for the thread and zipper and hemmed it with a topstitch to allow this detail to be noticeable but the boldness of the green was still overwhelmed by the pious grey.


it is cute though and perhaps with a good pair of trousers, leggings, or even tights (though it is already too hot to consider tights for a while) it would look better. i do like the built by wendy pattern line and look forward to trying the a-line skirt and button-down blouse that came with "sew u" since i am more of a skirt and blouse sort of gal.

3 comments:

momo said...

wow,cool dress!
I would love to make something like that too.
I am going back to dress gal since I only feed Oliver at home and it is just before his nap, night sleep and after waking up so two times I am wearing pajamas. Anyway well done Tiffany! Grey looks great on you.

Anonymous said...

cute dress. i like the green stitching and zip. it looks really cute on you. not at all amish

Beth said...

It does look good, no choir connotations in my book. You should definitely go for the modified shirt into a dress... After this one the shirt will be oh-so-easy and it feels super-casual (I'm not really a dress person myself).